The families of the victims of 9/11 are persistent in pursuing legal action against both Sudan and Saudi Arabia simultaneously.
According to The Guardian, the 9/11 families and the lobbying of two powerful east coast senators, Chuck Schumer and Bob Menendez, whose New York and New Jersey constituents make up the bulk of the 9/11 families, were successful in preventing the case against Sudan from being extinguished.
This is despite then secretary of state Mike Pompeo and senator Christopher Coons pressing for the case to be dropped.
The families demanded “damages for wrongful deaths, personal injuries, and property damage and economic loss caused by the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks upon the United States.”
The case, which is pursuing damages from both Sudan and Saudi Arabia, is currently at its depositions stage during which “during which a judge will rule on whether there is enough evidence to proceed to a trial during which damages can be determined.”
The Guardian report also mentioned that attorney Jodi Westbrook Flowers says that many of the families who had filed the original case against Sudan are “still committed to pressing ahead.”
Sudan had already appeared before US courts to answer the lawsuits filed against it by the families of the victims in December of last year.
Then US president Donald Trump’s administration had offered the families $700 million in damages to drop their claims, but the families’ lawyers said that they demand as much as $4 billion instead.