Sudanese journalists violently assaulted by security forces

A number of Sudanese journalists were beaten by the coup forces while covering the demonstrations on the 30th of December.

 Khartoum: AlTaghyeer

Sudanese security forces stormed the offices of Al-Arabiya – Al-Hadath – and Al-Sharq channels, and assaulted the channel staff, including reporters, journalists and workers, as well as destroying technical broadcasting equipment, in addition to firing tear gas inside the offices, while the security forces detained Al-Sharq correspondents Maha Al-Talb and Sally Othman for hours before releasing them. Later.

Circulating surveillance footage showed the moment the coup forces stormed the offices of Al-Arabiya and Al-Hadath channels showed the security forces dealing with excessive violence towards the media, frisking and assaulting them, as well as throwing tear gas canisters inside the building.

Joint Forces

The director of the Al-Hadath TV office in Khartoum, Lina Yaqoub, said in an interview with the channel that the security forces destroyed the contents of the office, looted phones off the workers – some of whom were taken to the hospital for treatment after being severely beaten – and that two regime agents stapled a burning gas canister to the stomach of one of the workers, causing him severe injury.

She also confirmed that the security forces assaulted her and her colleague, Nizar Bagdawi, severely, and blamed them for broadcasting evidence documenting their violent practices.

After the widespread condemnation of the systematic targeting of journalists yesterday, the leader of the coup and self-appointed head of the Sovereign Council Abdel Fattah al-Burhan sent a delegation to the offices of Al-Arabiya and Al-Hadath channels in Khartoum to apologize.

Very Worried

The director of Al-Sharq channel, Nabil Al-Khatib, expressed his deep concern about the personal security of the channel’s staff in Khartoum after the security forces stormed the office.

He said that security officers prevented the channel’s office staff in Khartoum from completing the live broadcast of what was happening in Khartoum.

“The representatives of the security apparatus who occupied the office resorted to cutting off the internet lines and took possession of the broadcasting camera before returning it to the working group,” he said.

The gas bomb attack also targeted the offices of Sky News channel, causing several suffocations.

The photojournalist for Al-Hurra and Russia Today was arrested by riot police while covering the processions today on Al-Qasr Street, who brutally assaulted him and confiscated both his cameras and phone.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button